Dr. Friedrich Emmerling
Dr. rer. nat., Dipl.-Phys. (Univ.)
German Patent Attorney, European Patent Attorney, European Trademark and Design Attorney
Technical areas of expertise:
- Laser physics
- LED technology
- Mobile communications
- Semiconductor technology, in particular storage technologies
- Video and audio encoding
- Extensive experience in patent litigation and in the enforcement of patents and utility models.
- Strategic advice on patent portfolios.
- Representation of clients in a large number of opposition and nullity proceedings before the European Patent Office, the German Patent Office, the Federal Patent Court and the Federal Court of Justice.
- Cooperation with renowned law firms in parallel international patent infringement proceedings before the regional courts of Mannheim, Düsseldorf, Munich and Hamburg, as well as the Higher Regional Court Karlsruhe and Düsseldorf.
- Many of these patent disputes are based on standard-essential patents and concern complex technical questions in the field of mobile communications and video technology.
- Friedrich Emmerling has been equity partner at Braun-Dullaeus Pannen Emmerling (BDPE) since 2019.
- Prior to this, he was equity partner at Bird & Bird LLP and Prüfer & Partner.
- Before his work as a patent attorney, Dr. Emmerling served as a senior executive in industry in the fields of software development and application engineering.
- He studied physics and made his Ph.D. at the Technical University of Munich.
- Frequently recommended attorney in the area patent processes/patent attorneys, JUVE Handbuch 2015/2016, 2016/2017, 2017/2018 and 2018/2019
- Highly recommended patent attorney, “Top Anwalt 2018”, Wirtschaftswoche, issue 52/2018
- EIP wins landmark London judgement for Unwired Planet, www.juve-patent.com, October 30, 2018
- Another setback for Intellectual Ventures, www.juve-patent.com, August 30, 2018
- SolarEdge sues Huawei and Wattkraft over photovoltaics, www.juve-patent.com, August 17, 2018
- Patent vernichtet: Preu Bohlig verhilft TK-Unternehmen gegen Verwerter zum Erfolg, www.juve.de, July 27, 2018
- Patentstreit des Jahrzehnts: Huawei und ZTE vergleichen sich offenbar still und leise, www.juve.de, March 6, 2017
- Recht der Computer- und Videospiele, published by Dr. Alexander Duisberg lawyer and Dr. Henriette Picot, 2013, Patentability of Computer Games, Dr. Tobias Reker, Dr. Friedrich Emmerling
- Patentschutz im Finanzdienstleistungsbereich, Dr. Friedrich Emmerling, Der iP Rechtsberater, Volume 8, August 20112
- Freie Fahrt für Investitionen, Windows-VFAT-Dateisystem: BGH bejaht erstmals Patentschutz, Dr. Friedrich Emmerling, Deutscher AnwaltSpiegel, Volume 10, Mai 2010
- epi – European Patent Institute
- FICPI – International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys
- German Chamber of Patent Attorneys
- GRUR – German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property and Copyright
- IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Technical University of Munich